UnitingCare Health is working towards enabling best practice healthcare and patient care outcomes by implementing the latest proven eHealth technologies and advanced models of patient care at St Stephen’s Hervey Bay. Core to this implementation is the Chief Medical Information Officer.
The new digital hospital features:
- Automatic feeds which transfer key elements of patient data directly from monitoring systems to the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Real time mobile clinical alerts on allergies, medications, and abnormal vitals and results.
- Patient medication barcode scanners.
- Local and remote access to the patient chart via mobile computers on wheels and tablets.
- Electronic meal ordering and a patient entertainment system.
Fast facts on technological infrastructure at St Stephen’s Hospital
- Over 2100 Data Points through the facility
- Over 100Km of Data Cabling
- 11 communication rooms
- 1 main data Centre
- Approximately 150 Wireless Access Points + capacity to add more as demand increases
- Approximately 1000 devices that will connect and communicate data via the hospital network
- All network switching equipment will have dual power supplies in the event of a device power supply failure
- All communication rooms and data centres will have dual power feeds; in the event of a failure, equipment will continue to run on the redundant power feed
- St Stephen’s Hervey Bay will have 2 generators to maintain continuity of power to core technology equipment
- Video conferencing capability in the operating theatres and other areas of the hospital
- Patient entertainment system that provides internet access, television viewing, video conferencing and meal ordering at the bedside
- Extensive IT security that allows only authorised devices to connect to the hospital network